Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wearing Thin...

My patience that is… It’s 9:00 p.m. and Trip hasn’t even been accessed, but it doesn’t matter because he isn’t starting chemo until tomorrow morning around 9:00. It has been a day that has really tested my patience. I’m certain I’ll get an F on this test.

We were literally on the road to Children’s downtown three separate times today and two of those we were told to turn around and go home because they gave our bed away. After the second time, I called our endocrinologist and left a message with her nurse that I think it is ridiculous that Trip can’t get chemo at Legacy (for you out-of-towners, closer to home and less busy) when the endocrine team barely even sees him when he is in the hospital. Then I begged her to loosen up on her rule of making us go downtown “just in case” we need the endocrine team. Thinking back, I should have been as sweet as punch since I asked for a favor. Maybe she’ll like the word “ridiculous” when the message is passed on to her.

We were told to be at the hospital at 6:45 p.m., which is horrible timing given that it’s rush hour and the fact that Trip is breaking through at that point. I took the urinal in the car just in case, but he fell asleep half way down here since he never got a nap due to the constant come-down-go-home interruptions. Since this is really just a vacation night in the hospital I thought we could go to bed early, but I should know better. We are still waiting on his DDAVP shot that he should have had an hour ago and now they want to access him before bed. The charge nurse, who we love and did her best to get us a bed today, came in and told me that it now says in Trip’s chart that endocrine doesn’t have to consult. I think I need to go to sleep before this test of patience continues. What was that lesson about expectations a couple of weeks ago? I obviously need to practice that one a bit more.

1 comment:

The Berry Family said...

yes. Don't you love hospitals? Hoping you have a good day today and that the medicinces work like they are supposed to.