Friday, June 29, 2012

Onward and Upward

Trip finished chemo this week. He didn’t eat much at all this week due to some stomach issues. We still aren’t sure if it was the chemo or maybe a bug, but we think it’s all behind us now. We were discharged last night around 10:30. When we walked outside it was 92 degrees and humid. It felt like walking into a wall to me, but Trip took a deep breath and said, “Ahhh, feel that fresh air. It smells so good.” The little things appreciated by him remind me that life is all in the perspective.

We go back next week only for blood work and the following week for what we hope is his last intravenous round of chemo. The doctors gave us the green light for putting him back in school since his counts have been decent lately. We think it will be great for him to be around his own peers and to be in a “normal” setting again. We will start him part time until he builds up stamina. I’m sure there will be an adjustment period for all of us, but we are a little excited about it – even Trip.

Relief, thankfulness and fear are still the emotions surrounding me right now. I heard someone say this week that you can either worry or pray but why do both? One of my friends told me last week that worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair all day because it’s exhausting and doesn’t get you anywhere. I’m challenging myself with these thoughts in mind to leave the worrying behind.

I’m so thankful to everyone for their continued thoughts, prayers, words and acts of encouragement and support. I can’t imagine what this experience would be like without people in our lives showing us love and consideration. Much love and gratitude to all.

No comments: