Saturday, February 11, 2012

Shock

A “chemo” mom friend sent me a text this morning asking if Trip would stay on Methotrexate with the shortage. WHAT??

I ran to the Internet to pull up this not-so-reassuring article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/health/policy/supply-of-methotrexate-a-cancer-drug-may-run-out-soon.html

Since Trip isn’t a kid with ALL whose life would be immediately at risk if he stopped receiving the drug, my guess is we may get pushed to the low priority list. Just when we felt like we were on the right track.

I will ask Dr. Appel on Tuesday what the chances are we will get bumped. Until then I will hope they find a way out of this for all kids’ sakes that need this drug. We might end up on toxic Clofarabine after all. Seems so hard to be a cheerleader for poison.

Today’s lesson should be not to panic before all the details are known. I’ll try to remember the lesson after Tuesday.

Today's gratitude is that for a mom who thought of us when hearing that news piece.

No comments: